The Cook County Clerk's office provides non-certified copies of vital records for the purpose of genealogical research.
To order online, visit the Clerk's website Genealogy Online.
Please note, the Chicago Fire of October 8, 1871 destroyed all county vital records prior to that date.
Under Illinois law, genealogical records are defined as:
- Birth certificates older than 75 years.
- Marriage certificates older than 50 years.
- Death certificates older than 20 years.
All genealogical records issued by the Clerk's office are considered non-certified documents and stamped "For Genealogical Purposes Only."
|Birth||$15; and $4 for each additional copy|
|Marriage||$15; and $4 for each additional copy|
|Death|| $17*; and $6* for each additional copy
*Effective July 1, 2012 per PA 97-0679
If you are uncertain of the exact date of birth, marriage or death and want us to search more than one year, include $1.00 for each additional year you want searched, up to a maximum of 10 years.
Other sources you can contact directly may be helpful in your search and locating state file numbers:
Requesting a record
ORDER ONLINE at Cook County Geneaology
To obtain a genealogical record, you must:
- Fill out and sign a Genealogical Request Form*.
- Pay the required fee (see above).
- Mail or deliver the form to the Cook County Clerk's office:
Mail your request to:
Cook County Clerk
Bureau of Vital Statistics
P.O. Box 641070
Chicago, IL 60664-1070
Include the following items:
- a completed Genealogy Request Form*
- a check or money order payable to the Cook County Clerk
- a self-addressed stamped envelope
For more information:
- Call: (312) 603-7790
- E-mail: [email protected]