The Cook County Clerk's office keeps official records of deaths that occur in Chicago and suburban Cook County.
Under state law, you may legally obtain a copy of a death certificate if you are a relative or can prove a financial interest in an individual's death.
Requesting a death certificate
There are five ways to obtain a death certificate:
- 1. Order Online
- Order online by clicking here.
- 2. Order By Phone
Call Toll-Free: (866) 252-8974
- 3. Order By Mail
Mail your request to:
Cook County Clerk's Office
Bureau of Vital Records
P.O. Box 641070
Chicago, IL 60664-1070
Include the following items:
a completed Death Certificate Request Form*
proof of immediate relationship and or financial interest in the death certificate
a photocopy of your photo identification
a check or money order payable to the Cook County Clerk for $17* (additional copies of the same record cost $6* each) *Effective July 1, 2012 per PA 97-0679.
a self-addressed stamped envelope
Note: Be sure to include your phone number with your mail request.
- 4. Go to a local Currency Exchange
- Call (847) 759-8905 for Currency Exchange hours and locations in Chicago and suburban Cook County, or visit www.mycurrencyexchange.com.
- There is a $5 surcharge for records obtained at Currency Exchanges.
- 5. Visit us in person at one of our locations
Most records are printed on demand while you wait at any of our locations (downtown and three suburban courthouses).
- Records are $17 for the first copy and $6 for each additional copy of the same record.
- Cash, debit cards and credit cards (MasterCard, Visa, American Express & Discover) are accepted. A $1.25 processing fee is charged for debit cards; a $1.75 processing fee for credit cards. Checks are not accepted.