What documents are required from a customer when they are applying for Dual Citizenship via Mail ONLY and need certified certificates?
- Copy of the Customer’s Identification (click here for acceptable forms of ID)
- Copy of the Customer’s Dual Citizenship Application.
- Letter from Embassy explaining need for certified certificates.
- If the Customer is going through a 3rd Party Agency to process their Dual Citizenship Application, Obtain a copy of the letter from the 3rd Party Agency on the Agency’s letterhead paper.
- Copy of the decedent’s death record as support for the certified Birth Certificate being requested.
- The certified Birth Certificate MUST be stamped “DECEASED” and the “Date of Death” of the deceased person stamped or written on the certificate before it is issued to the customer.
- If a certified Birth Certificate is requested and the person is still living, then the customer applying for Dual Citizenship is not entitled to a certified copy of the person’s Birth Certificate unless the customer has submitted a Durable Power of Attorney with their request and ID. Otherwise, the certified Birth Certificate must be obtained by the individual named on the record.
Note: The State of Illinois did not require parental information on Marriage License Applications until January 1968.
Include the following items in your Mail Order:
- A completed Genealogy Request Form (indicate on the form that you need Certified documents).
- A check or money order payable to the “Cook County Clerk”. Birth Certificates, Marriage License, and Marriage Applications are $15 each (additional copies of the same record cost $4 each). Death Certificates are $17 (additional copies of the same record cost $6 each).
- A self-addressed stamped envelope for your document(s) to be mailed to you. Note: Be sure to include your phone number with your mail request.
On average, mail orders are processed within 30-45 working days from the date the request is received by this office.
Mail your request to:
Cook County Clerk's Office
Bureau of Vital Records
P.O. Box 641070
Chicago, IL 60664-1070
Attention: Dual Citizenship