When to Re-Register

Your registration is permanent unless you move or change your name.

Address changes

If you have moved within suburban Cook County, you must transfer your registration by re-registering. You may choose to write your new address on the back of your voter identification card and mail it to the Clerk's downtown Chicago office.

You must re-register with the new local election authority or county clerk if you move to an address outside suburban Cook County.

Name changes

If you are changing your name but are not moving—and forget to update your registration—you will be required to fill out an affidavit on Election Day in order to cast your ballot. You will not be able to vote by mail.

If you are legally changing your name at the Secretary of State’s office (www.cyberdriveillinois.com) you can ask them to process a new or updated voter registration.

Recently married?

If you are a newlywed, check out this special flyer that describes how to keep your voter registration accurate and valid.